BE SURE TO PROTECT YOUR SKIN DURING WINTER MONTHS
Your skin does need extra protection and different care during the winter months. Cold air, harsh winds and dryness can all lead to changes in the skin. Dermatologists recommend changing your skin care routine to avoid dry, irritated skin when temperatures drop.
By implementing some simple changes and additional steps in your skin care routine, skin can stay healthy looking all year round.
- Humidifiers – Humidifiers are perfect for winter weather. They get more moisture in the air, which helps prevent your skin from drying out. Soothe dry skin by sleeping with a humidifier on through the night. In the morning, you’ll notice not only that your face looks more supple but also that your hands and lips don’t feel dry and dehydrated. Read our article on Humidifiers with our recommendation of brands and types – Hydrate Your Skin & Hair
- Cleansing – Making sure to properly clean your skin morning and night is key to beautiful skin. We recommend a Clarisonic for deep cleaning and to remove dead skin cells. Developed by the lead inventor of the Sonicare toothbrush, Clarisonic Mia is professional-caliber sonic skin care for cleansing wherever your lifestyle takes you. Mia cleanses so well that products absorb better, pores appear smaller, and fine lines and wrinkles appear reduced. As little as one minute a day, for the best skin of your life.
- Exfoliating – If you aren’t already exfoliating your face and body it will make a huge difference and we recommend it year round. Exfoliating is must during the winter months.Exfoliation is the best thing you can do for your skin, to instantly relieve itchiness and dullness, as exfoliation helps to immediately strip old, flakey skin cells from your face and body. The result is smoother, softer and healthier looking skin that can better absorb any products applied after. We like Fresh Soy Face Exfoliant – which is a unique formula for all skin types that uses an ultra-gentle form of natural microdermabrasion to resurface and refine the complexion. Enriched with cucumber seeds, rose hip seeds, jojoba beads and soy proteins that revive the skin and encourage cell turnover, Soy Face Exfoliant delicately eliminates dead cells and instantly reveals a smoother, more radiant complexion.
- Moisturizers – You should double up on your moisturizes, using them more often and possibly going to a heavier strength during the winter. Also switching from a lotion to a cream moisturizer is a better choice for winter weather. Our pick La Mer Soft Cream – La Mer’s ‘Moisturizing Soft Cream’ delivers a luxurious, spa-like treatment to dry skin. Infused with the brand’s innovative Miracle BrothTM, this nutrient-rich formula hydrates from beneath the dermis to restore softness and radiance. Penetrates deeply to strengthen, renew and energize. Pat a small amount between fingertips and gently press onto skin.
- Serums – Serums are often the forgotten skincare step, but a good one can take your skin from good to great, and is worth investing in. A serum is different than a moisturizer in that the molecules are smaller allowing it to penetrate deeper into the pores, and it contains 10 times the active ingredients of a moisturizer. Serums and moisturizers should be used together for best results, as a moisturizer helps to lock in the hydrating benefits of your serum. A serum is applied first, and then followed 10 minutes later by your moisturizer, which helps to lock the serum into your skin and provide a protective barrier on your skin. Look for a hydrating serum for the winter. We love La Mer’s Hydrating Serum – La Mer The Revitalizing Hydrating Serum. This deeply replenishing and refreshing serum awakens vitality one drop at a time, flooding skin with sea-sourced actives and their legendary Miracle BrothTM.
- Eye Creams – The skin around the eye is very thin and harsh weather can be extra tough on the eye area. Eye creams as well you should re-apply more and possibly look at a heavier cream for winter months. Plus, many eye creams offer additional benefits such as reducing fine lines and wrinkles, puffiness and dark circles. La Mer’s Eye Concentrate – works wonders. A deeply conditioning cream formulated with hematite, a magnetically-charged mineral, to help dramatically dissolve the appearance of dark circles, surface discoloration and unevenness.Who it’s for: Anyone who wants to soften the appearance of lines and wrinkles.What it does: It reveals a visibly healthier, smoother and more luminous look over time.How to use: Dab a small amount onto the included applicator and gently sweep onto your eye area morning and evening.
- Moisturizing Masks –While moisturizing daily—especially during the colder months of the year—is important in maintaining a healthy, hydrated complexion, adding a moisturizing mask will provide quick relief from the uncomfortable effects of dry skin. Sleep masks have become a huge trend lately as they sit on the skin longer and protect your skin during sleep when we typically lose a lot of moisture. Fresh Rose Face Mask – hydrates and tones the complexion to restore radiance and suppleness. Its unique, cooling gel formula is infused with real rose petals that melt into the skin, while pure rosewater works to soothe and tone the complexion and cucumber extract and aloe vera gel help calm skin with an immediate cooling effect. It is further enriched with porphyridium cruentum, a smart algae that delivers optimum moisture, and antioxidant-rich green tea that helps brighten and protect.
- Sunscreen – Sunscreen is just as necessary in the winter time. The sun coupled with the cold air can damage your skin and lead to more drying and wrinkles. Try applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen to your face and your hands about 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply frequently if you stay outside a long time.
- Hats, Sunglasses & Gloves – Any cover you can provide not only to your face, skin, hands and hair can help protect damage from sun, wind and the cold air.
- Water, Water, Water – Most of us don’t drink nearly enough water to keep us hydrated. By drinking just 6-8 glasses of pure, unfiltered water a day you help to set the foundation for a beautiful skin. Drinking water helps to hydrate skin cells internally, which results in a plumper, more hydrated complexion that is less susceptible to fine lines and wrinkles. Many of us assume sweetened iced teas or soda pops are helping to hydrate us, but the high amounts of sugar actually suck water out of your cells, leaving your skin dehydrated, and at a higher risk for becoming saggy and developing lines and wrinkles.
SHOP OUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS THAT ARE GREAT FOR WINTER SKIN CARE
(scroll at the arrow below to view more products)